Alcohol and drug abuse have detrimental effects on individuals and society as a whole. These substances not only destroy individuals’ health and well-being but also impact communities, relationships, and overall societal functioning. Fortunately, to address this pressing issue, there are various screening tests in place and easily available. These tools have become essential in identifying substance abuse in people. Now, you can monitor alcoholism and drug use in your loved ones too, with the help of alcohol & drug screening tests. In this blog, we’ll explore how alcohol & drug abuse affects society and how various screening procedures, including hair, nail, and urine tests, can help mitigate these issues.
Impact of Drug & Alcohol Abuse on Society
Alcohol & drug abuse have far-reaching consequences that extend beyond the individual user. Let’s take a closer look at some of the societal effects:
- Family & Social Disruption – Substance abuse often leads to strained relationships, domestic violence, child neglect, and family instability. It disrupts the social fabric and can lead to generational cycles of substance abuse.
- Health Burden – Substance abuse significantly burdens healthcare systems due to increased hospitalizations, emergency room visits, and treatment costs. It also contributes to the rise in chronic diseases and mental health disorders.
- Public Safety – Alcohol & drug use impairs judgment, coordination, and cognitive abilities, increasing the risk of accidents, violence, and criminal activities. This jeopardizes public safety and puts innocent lives at stake.
- Economic Costs – Substance abuse decreases productivity, absenteeism, workplace accidents, and higher healthcare expenses. These factors collectively impact the economy and reduce overall productivity.
The Role of Drug and Alcoholism Tests
Drug and alcoholism tests play a crucial role in addressing substance abuse issues. These tests help identify individuals who engage in alcohol or drug abuse, allowing for early intervention and treatment. By detecting substance abuse at its early stages, these screenings can help prevent the negative consequences mentioned earlier. Let’s delve into the types and procedures of drug and alcohol testing.
- Nail Drug Test – When conducting a nail drug test, it is essential to clip the nails as close to the nail bed as possible. The nail bed has a higher blood supply compared to the rest of the nail. If the nail is 5 millimeters or longer, a single clipping is sufficient. However, if the nails are shorter, approximately 10 mg of nail clippings are required. It’s important to remember that both fingernails & toenails can be used, but never a mixture of both.
- Hair Drug Test – For a hair drug test, we collect around 200 hair strands, similar in thickness to a pencil. This test can be performed in 2 ways: Overview Analysis & Segmented Analysis. The Overview Analysis averages drug use episodes over the testing period. In contrast, Segmented Analysis examines a person’s drug usage on a month-by-month basis.
- Nail Alcohol Test – The nail alcohol test requires approximately 10 mg of nail clippings. Nails are primarily composed of keratin fibers. This test uses the alcohol metabolite EtG as a biomarker for alcohol use. Moreover, it provides a detection window of up to 12 months.
- Hair Alcohol Test – The most common samples used for a Hair alcohol test are head hairs, although other body hairs such as chest, leg, arm, and beard hairs can also be used. Based on the length of hair obtained from these body parts, the duration of alcohol consumption can be determined. A minimum of a 3 cm section of hair is required.
- Urine Drug Testing Kit – An instant urine drug testing kit offers immediate drug screening results. The Urine Pot Drug Testing Cup is designed for easy and accurate drug testing at home. It includes a 14-panel drug testing cup and features integrated temperature strips to detect different drugs in the urine sample.
Which Drugs Can Drug Tests Uncover?
Drug tests are capable of detecting various types of drugs, including:
- Cocaine – Chronic use of cocaine leads to an increased risk of stroke, seizures, anxiety, paranoia, cognitive impairments, and potential damage to brain structures and function.
- Cannabis – Cannabis is generally considered less harmful than other drugs. But an overdose can impact memory, impair cognitive function and increase the risk of developing mental health disorders.
- PCP – PCP, or phencyclidine, disrupts the brain’s normal functioning leading to hallucinations, delusions, impaired motor function, memory loss, etc.
- Opiates – Opiates, including heroin and prescription painkillers, can cause harmful effects such as confusion, nausea, impaired judgment, increased risk of infections, and potentially fatal respiratory failure.
- MDMA – MDMA can be harmful as it can cause depletion of serotonin, leading to mood disturbances, depression, memory and cognitive impairments, sleep problems, and potentially long-term damage to serotonin-producing neurons.
- Ketamine – A dissociative anesthetic often used as a recreational drug but also misused as a date rape drug. Moreover, it increases heart rate & blood pressure, potential bladder and kidney damage.
- Methadone – It can cause sedation, respiratory depression, reduced sex drive, impaired cognitive function, and mood swings.
- Amphetamine – It can lead to harmful effects, including increased heart rate & blood pressure, insomnia, loss of appetite, anxiety, hallucinations, etc.
- Methamphetamine – Methamphetamine is highly addictive and can damage the brain. It can cause hallucinations, aggression, dental problems, weight loss, skin sores, and cardiovascular complications.
It’s important to note that this list didn’t cover all drugs, as drug tests can screen for a wide range of substances based on the specific panel used in the test.
Why Choose Us?
When it comes to efficient and prompt drug and alcoholism testing services, look no further than DNA Forensics Laboratory Pvt. Ltd. (DFL). Here are some compelling reasons why you should opt for us for alcohol & drug testing needs:
- Comprehensive Drug Testing Services – We offer various alcohol & drug testing services to cater to different requirements. From urine drug testing to hair, nail, and even at-home drug testing kits, we have a comprehensive portfolio of testing options to meet various needs.
- Confidentiality & Privacy – We understand the sensitive nature of drug & alcoholism tests and prioritize confidentiality & privacy. We have robust systems to protect the privacy of individuals undergoing testing and ensure that the results are handled with the utmost discretion.
- Nationwide Reach – With a widespread network of collection centers across India & Abroad, we ensure convenient access to drug & alcohol testing services. We have strategically located collection centers, making it easier for individuals from different parts of the country to avail themselves of their services.
For any further inquiries or to schedule an alcohol & drug screening test in India, our customer support executives are available to assist you at +91 8010177771 or WhatsApp at +91 9213177771.